Monday, October 18, 2010

Crazy Month of October

So some exciting news that I realized I haven't posted yet is that we are having another little GIRL.  We are so excited especially Puck.  He absolutely loves little girls.  Him and Josie and best buds, in fact she is a completely different toddler around her daddy.  I am excited to let the Heriford household drama continue.....

But as for the craziness of the month it began with me in the ICU on Oct. 1st.  Here is the story.  About a week before the hospital I started to get flu like symptoms.  Fever, then cold chills, but they were only at night time so I didn't get too worried about it.  This went on for a couple of days and I was worried about our little baby so we went into labor and delivery and monitored the baby.  The nurse said she was fine and just watch my fevers and take tylenol....  So 2 days later I had my OB check up and I was still having fevers but no other flu symptoms so the doctor said watch the fevers and call her office if anything changes.  So the next day I got this crazy rash on my tummy and back, and I called the nurse and she said it was probably just the viral infection surfacing and I was ok.  BUT, I knew I wasn't OK.  That night I had 3 fevers of 103 and cold chills that made me so I couldn't move at all.  Literally, my husband had to carry me.  I waited it out until the morning and Puck and I decided to go to Labor and Delivery again.  This time it was a little different.  The nurse checked the baby and she seemed ok but then she checked my blood pressure and said that she was going to take me to the ER to get some blood work done.  I really wasn't worried, I thought I was just dehydrated from the cold chills and they would just pump some fluids through me.  Well they did.  I met the doctor and someone took my blood and then 20 minutes later, there was about 10 different people in my room.  I had 2 IV's, a nasal flushing, a chest x-ray, more blood cultures taken and a new doctor come in.  He was an infectious disease doctor and he told me that he was admitting me to the ICU.  I was like, "WHAT??"  I had just sent Puck off to work and didn't have a cell phone to call him.  So they took me to the ICU, I called Puck from the hospital phone to let him know I would be staying the night and we were both shocked.  I couldn't believe everything that was happening to me.  The reasons they took me to ICU was because my blood pressure was like 70/30 which they never want the median count to be under 60, mine was like 40.  Also, my red blood cell count was 19 and they like it above 40, and my potassium was very low.  I seriously felt like a patient from the TV show, House.  They tested me for sooo many diseases.  One disease, Parvo Virus(spell check), put me under isolation for a couple of days.  Which meant that everyone who came into my room had to be gowned, gloved, and masked.  Luckily, I didn't test positive for this one.  But I did end up with a blood transfusion and lots and lots of IV medicine.  After a week of treatment, the doctors decided it was just a terrible viral infection that took over my body and because I was pregnant it was a lot harder on me.  I have to say that it has been the hardest thing that we have had to go through and I am so grateful for our Heavenly Father who watches overs us and protects us from harm.  And I am so grateful that we listened to the spirit when it told us that I wasn't OK.

                                                                                      (During isolation period, this is my dad!)
                                                      (My swollen feet and legs.....I gained 20 lbs of fluids in the hospital.)
                                                                        (The port that sent the fluids and blood to my heart.)
                                                                        Pretty nasty pictures both in quality and actuality.  Taken with my phone.

Thanks to everyone for  your thoughts, prayers, and taking care of our family.  We have such fabulous family and friends!!! Oh, and good NEWS, I went and got an ultrasound this morning and baby is growing great.  I honestly can't believe how strong little babies are. Thanks little baby Hadlee for being strong when your mommy was weak.  We love you so much and can't wait to meet you. (Well, yes we can, we want to meet her on her due date and no sooner.)

17 comments:

mickell said...

I am so glad you are ok!!! We were worried about you & kept you in our prayers. Pregnancy is rough!!! Not too much longer though :)

Kara said...

Wow Jess - so glad all is better now! Looking forward to seeing you all at the holidays!

eliza said...

Oh my goodness friend, I'm glad you are home and doing better. Let me know if you want to rest and I can do a play date with the kids. Love you and call me if you need anything!

The Beck's said...

Crazy, I've been thinking about you lately, I should have called. Let me know if I can do anything for you. Love ya

Travis Sadi and Taiya said...

I am soo happy that you are doing better. Hadlee huh? I totally love it!! Middle name??

Lynzi and Sean said...

Crazy stuff, I am SO SO glad your doing better! Love the name Hadlee, cute cute! Love ya!

Katie & Benten Shober said...

I am so glad everything is ok. That would be so freaky. I am so excited to see baby #2.

Bri {collected} said...

We're just happy you're alive friend! And excited to meet Hadlee!

Ash said...

Jess oh my!! I am so glad you were okay! You poor thing. That's not fun! Your are simplay adorable!! We made it were here in Texas. I can't believe it! Congrats on baby girl #2!! So exciting Jess! Miss you like crazy! Hope things are well. Love ya Jess.

David and Rachel said...

Good to hear you're doing ok now! That is scary!

Nicole said...

Lady, what the heck?! I am glad you are ok! I have been thinking about you a ton... if you are feeling up to it Beckam and I want to come over and play. LMK!

Amber and Mackay said...

SO SCARY! But glad everything is ok. Take it easy girly and hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly for you:) Love and prayers sent your way!!!

M-Lissa and B-Rett said...

That is crazy! We are glad you are ok. Congrats on the new baby to come. Brett and I are excited for you guys.

Sara said...

Oh my gosh! How scary! I am so glad you are ok! What the heck?! I am so sorry! Congrats on the baby girl tho!! They will be best of sisters... most minutes of the day!! How exciting!! Are u still in Traverse? We moved before you guys were dne in Chicago! Missing you guys in the church halls!

Chandice said...

You sweet girl I am so sorry you had to go through that! How are you doing now? Miss you tons and hope you and your cute family are doing great. :)

hapi said...

Hi The Heriford's, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

we are ready for a blog update:) miss you guys and the girlies!